Author Topic: Remote shutter options for E-PL1  (Read 20048 times)

Offline peterb666

• E-P3
    • View Profile
    • PeterB Photography Blog
Re: Remote shutter options for E-PL1
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2010, 03:09:54 PM »
I am pretty certain that the camera pin-out is the same regardless.

Why not invest $7 for a pin-compatible wired remote and test it for yourself. That's about 1/10th the cost of the Olympus remote (at least in Australia) and a very small investment for a lot of potential gain.

I mean for less than two coffees, you can have a remote control. Or for two coffees and a couple of Big Macs you can have a wireless remote.
Be nice to each other, life is too short for anything else.

adash

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2010, 10:11:56 PM »
I mean for less than two coffees, you can have a remote control. Or for two coffees and a couple of Big Macs you can have a wireless remote.

Or you can quickly sell it to fellow photographers in your area if it happens not to work. RM-UC1 is E-Series compatible, it has many potential users out there.

Offline sannin

• Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2010, 12:06:45 AM »
Yes, that is the thing, the pins are probably the same, but apparently the hardware itself inside does not support it for shutter remote.  Those who were arguing it works were just assuming that because the pin is there, it works.  They forgot about inside.

Anyway, I don't need to buy it, I can just go to the shop to ask them to test their E-PL1 with the remote.  Will let you know soon.

But if it doesn't work, then must ask Olympus why can't they make it the same as Australian version  :(

Offline peterb666

• E-P3
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2010, 02:50:11 AM »
I am pretty certain the DO NOT make the multi-out socket different for different markets on the same camera. It is up to you but the Australian market is very small compared to other markets and they would not wire up the socket differently for Australia. Also, when you update the firmare, there are not different versions for different markets so the software is the same too.

When trying out the cable, make sure it is seated properly. Can be a bit tricky with a new and tight cable.

Offline sannin

• Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2010, 12:10:42 AM »
Here you go, from Olympus Australia.  That should close it.

"Yes the information on the Olympus America and Olympus UK websites is[/size]correct. The RM-UC1 is not compatible with the E-PL1 as it will not control
the shutter release.

[/size]
Thank you for bringing this error to our attention. The specifications on
the Olympus Australia website have now been corrected"

Offline peterb666

• E-P3
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2010, 12:32:07 AM »
That's a pretty dumb move to dumb down the IO socket on the E-PL1, presumably just for product differentiation as it certanly wouldn't make a difference to the manufacturing cost. Actually, I wouldn't be suprised that it is merely crippled in firmware rather than anything else.

There is always the self-timer.

Offline sannin

• Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2010, 01:27:06 AM »

Well, I love the Ant-Shock feature for the E-Px, I always use it when mounted on a tripod ...

I can only think of a remote as something to use when trying to shoot stealthily ...

Offline peterb666

• E-P3
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2010, 06:24:23 AM »
I really wonder if the anti-shock is needed as there is no mirror to lock up. It does have the advantage of giving you variable delay after triggering the shutter and can be used with the continuous shooting mode to give a sort of intervalometer however that doesn't help with the E-PL1 if you cannot remotely lock the shutter.

How does the E-PL1 manage 'bulb' mode without a remote? It would be impracticable.

Offline sannin

• Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2010, 10:05:43 AM »
Well, they never really called it a mirror lock-up, and indeed the shutter is delayed, pressed first and released based on the time specified. It may not really be very effective in normal usage, but I have a $15 tripod that shakes after I press the shutter, same with my Gorillapod. So I just use Anti-Shake anyway rather than timer, no harm.

According to the manual, though, Olympus did state that it was useful for microscope photography or astro.  But I use it anyway in normal tripod situations.

As for Bulb, yes I forgot about that.  A remote is certainly needed. Good thing I don't really use the feature, like I probably am one of the very few photography enthusiasts who has no fireworks picture at all  :-[

Offline peterb666

• E-P3
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2010, 06:46:34 PM »
You don't need bulb for fireworks. A 4 second exposure is plenty long enough and even too long quite often.

I generally don't use bulb but from time to time do exposures to 60s which the E-P1 allows. If I didn't have such long timed exposures, I would being using a remote release with a timer built in.

Offline sannin

• Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2010, 09:29:05 PM »
Well, YMMV, I think I'd rather use bulb to have more control over starting shutter, keeping it open, and stopping, as grand fireworks at our place can take several bursts and last long.  Anyway, that's how everyone I know shoot fireworks.  I would rather take pics of the people watching the fireworks :)

The bottomline is that E-PL1 has no remote shutter triggering capability, though, so it will just be cumbersome.

E-P2 is still the most complete of the 3 in terms of features, but the excellent ISO and slightly better IQ of the E-PL1 is more compelling for me.  Until the next one ... whatever brand ...
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 01:32:04 AM by sannin »